Do you have strong experience in organizational development and a demonstrated commitment towards reproductive health? Then this might be for you!
We are looking for an Executive Director at WoMena Uganda.
Position title: Executive Director
Reports to: Board of Directors
Location: WoMena Uganda Office, Kampala, Uganda
Contract duration: 1 year with possibility for extension based on good performance
Hours: 40 hours per week (Monday – Friday)
About WoMena: WoMena promotes the use of evidence-based, effective reproductive health technologies and solutions such as menstrual cups through research, advocacy and project implementation in Uganda and East Africa. We are a Ugandan non-governmental organization in Kampala, Uganda working in partnership with a Danish sister organisation. Our team consists of +10 staff members based in Uganda and +30 volunteers from +15 nationalities based all over the world.
WoMena is proud to be identified in 2020 by the Kulczyk Foundation and Founders Pledge as one of the eight most cost-effective organisations worldwide working with menstrual health, the recipient of the 2019 POWER, TOGETHER Awards at the Women Leaders Global Forum, Iceland as well as the Danish Association for Public Health Graduates FFSV (Foreningen for Kandidater i Folkesundhedsvidenskab) Prize 2015.
Job summary: The Executive Director is responsible for:
- Providing leadership, supervision, management and control of the organization’s daily operations in accordance with approved policies, strategies, objectives and plans;
- Providing overall leadership and vision in developing strategies, approaches and plans for realizing organisational objectives; and
- Ensuring the organization’s strategic and annual financial and operational plans are effectively implemented, results monitored and reported to the Board and partners.
- Strategic planning and execution (20%)
- Develop strategic plan consistent with the Vision and Mission of the organization with inputs from relevant team and association members and develop relevant operational documents to support its implementation.
- Compensation strategies and benefits updated as relevant and when required.
- Timely submission of relevant strategic and operational documents to the Board.
- Manage the Organisation within approved policies and guidelines.
- Organizational supervision and management (60%)
- Report regularly to the Board on the overall progress and results against operating and financial objectives and initiate courses of action for improvement in collaboration with the Management Team.
- Ensure strong HR policies and procedures, annual performance reviews of staff, recruitment and progressive employee training and development programs.
- Support the Finance team to develop and successfully implement the annual budget in accordance with the policies of the organisation.
- Lead the development of the Annual Reports in collaboration with the Senior Management and Communications teams.
- Support establishment of effective control mechanisms and integrity of the internal control and financial management systems in collaboration with the Finance Manager and internal auditor.
- Identify the principal risks of the Organisation’s business and implement appropriate systems to manage these risks.
- Ensure that employees have their responsibilities and authorities clearly established.
- Ensure effective communications and maintain appropriate relationships with the Government and stakeholders.
- Manage and oversee the required interfaces between the Organisation and stakeholders, act as the official spokesperson for the Organisation, and ensure strong partnership management.
- Ensure the safe, efficient operation of the Organisation and ensure compliance with the Organisation’s environment, health and safety policies and practices.
- Ensure all operations and activities of the Organisation are conducted in accordance with laws, regulations, the Organisation’s Code of Conduct and Conflict of Interest Guidelines.
- Foster an organizational culture that promotes ethical practices and encourages individual integrity, social responsibility, and accountability.
- Ensure effective management of the organizational virtual filing system.
- Ensure effective management of the organisation’s fundraising and communications efforts including proactively pursuing fundraising opportunities across private, non-profit and public sectors.
- Program support and coordination (20%)
- Oversee and manage our MHM intervention in Buikwe District in collaboration with the Junior Project Manager, including budget management, activity coordination, and report writing
- Coordinate planning processes and offer technical guidance to programs, project, and monitoring and evaluation teams to successfully measure priority indicators as per the organization’s M&E framework.
- Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments against project objectives, including midline and endline reviews are conducted and reports made to the relevant managers and the funding organisations.
- Oversee overall planning, budgeting, design and implementation of the program and ensure that best practices are shared across projects.
- Technical expertise in a growing specialized field by a recognized, award-winning visionary organization with a specialised team on Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights.
- Ability to see the direct impacts of your work in the field.
- High level of responsibility and influence.
- Experience in collaborating with local and international, well-established partner organisations and with our international network of volunteers and staff members.
- A dedicated, friendly team in a positive and dynamic working environment.
Qualifications and skills:
- Education: Graduate with relevant academic background (health, international relations, development studies, social sciences).
- Experience: At least 5 years of experience in International Development. Experiences in humanitarian context and working experiences in Uganda/East Africa is an advantage.
- Creative, solution-oriented leader that is eager to work with diverse perspectives, strongly supports his/her team and demonstrates accountability towards team members.
- Demonstrated excellent leadership, human resources management, communication and organizational management skills, strategic planning, solid understanding of M&E.
- Excellent partnership management and fundraising skills and interested to seek and pursue fundraising opportunities across private, non-profit and public sectors.
- Strong financial management skills including interest in applying hands on approach to financial projections, budgeting, internal controls and audit management.
- Strong IT skills and ability/interest to manage the virtual aspects of the organization as well as certain aspects of the communications work.
- Demonstrated dedication towards promoting Sexual and Reproductive Health.
Remuneration: Gross salary of US $1,950 – US $2,200 per month as per contract subject to taxation as per Ugandan legislation plus allowances and benefits following WoMena’s policies.
Starting Date: 15th June, 2021.
Interested applicants who meet the above criteria are invited to send their application via email to email@example.com. Please submit your application by 5:00 PM EAT on 17th May 2021. The application must include: Curriculum Vitae (CV), one-page cover letter explaining your suitability and motivation for the position, and three professional references (letters and/or contacts). Only complete applications will be considered.
We look forward to receiving your application!
Warmly, the WoMena Team