Position title: Program Office Manager (POM)
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Kampala, Uganda (WoMena Uganda Office, Ntinda)
Status: 12 months full-time position with possibility of extension
Hours: 40 hours per week, 5 days a week according to WoMena’s official business hours
Remuneration: Gross salary as per contract, other allowances and benefits following WoMena’s policies
The WoMena Uganda Office Team is in charge of successfully introducing MCs and other MHM methods and skills to our target groups. The POM’s main role will be in charge of the office’s management, work planning, HR management, financial management in collaboration with the Finance Manager, development and compliance with WoMena policies, reporting to WoMena’s Board and generally ensuring a functioning office and management environment for the team on the ground. The POM will also be involved in liaison and advocacy with partners on the ground, especially at the senior management levels and government bodies. Lastly, the POM will lead the work planning and coordinate the team’s work in collaboration with the Training Coordinator, Research Coordinator and Management Team.
- Generally supporting the office and team on the ground (20%): Manage the WoMena office to ensure conditions are conducive to the organisation’s work, ensuring utilities management, asset management, security, communications, office procedures and a nice and motivating working atmosphere for the team.
- Human Resources (25%): Main responsible for the following tasks:
- Managing job advertisements, drafting Letters of Offer, Job Descriptions and contracts (in collaboration with Finance and Project Managers as appropriate)
- Managing team performance appraisal processes
- Processing work permits, special passes and immigration issues
- Develop and lead office based induction program
- Applying leave policy and keeping track of total leave days for office colleagues
- Developing and implementing other HR policies, procedures and best practices
- Financial management (15%): Co-lead development of the annual budget, project budgets and periodical forecasts with the Finance Manager, with inputs from the Management Team and other relevant colleagues. Ensuring the organisation is working within its budgetary framework in collaboration with the Finance Team, signing off on expenditures, supporting funding applications and proposals. Ensure Project Managers submit and get budgets approved; provide quality assurance on team deliverables.
- Document management (10%): Lead WoMena’s organisational document management (both electronic and paper-based) and ensure relevant policies are developed and applied.
- Compliance with WoMena policies (10%): Ensuring WoMena’s policies are developed, user-friendly and available to team members that need them, as well as following up with team on ground to ensure everyone is aware of and follows the policies
- Liaison and advocacy with partners (10%): Advocacy at national level to achieve WoMena strategic objectives, meeting potential strategic and funding partners, managing relationships & budget negotiation.
- Overall project coordination (10%): Ensure that projects are in line with WoMena’s strategic and operational goals with guidance from the Board. Ensure coordination between the projects and delegate responsibilities to increase effectiveness and efficiency.
The POM will be expected to come to the WoMena office on a daily basis and communicate with WoMena colleagues and partners through email, phone calls and online meetings. WoMena Uganda’s Board and partner WoMena Denmark’s members are based in, among other countries: Uganda, Switzerland, Kenya, and Denmark. Most of the current interaction between members currently occurs via Skype, our internal Facebook page and via emails. The POM should provide leadership to the team, be proactive in reaching out to WoMena members and excellent in independently organising his/her work. He/she will be required to participate in or organise regular virtual meetings with relevant WoMena teams/colleagues and will be expected to provide regular updates to the Board members and broader WoMena team where relevant.
- Public Health, Medical, Social Work or relevant professional background.
- Excellent planning and organisation skills.
- Experience with managing/leading teams, ability to mentor and motivate as well as solid intercultural teamwork skills.
- Proactive, positive, problem solving attitude and good at taking initiative.
- Efficient and interested in learning new things to improve own/organisational efficiency.
- In-depth knowledge of Ugandan legislation, administration and management.
Respects and sets an example regarding WoMena Core Competencies:
- Judgement/Decision-making: Proactive, strong problem solver and good at taking initiative to get the job done.
- Planning and organising: Independent planning and prioritisation of tasks.
- Teamwork: Supportive, positive team player, respectful of others work and good at recognizing others’ achievements.
- Commitment to Continuous Learning: Interested in learning new things to improve own/organizational efficiency.
- Remuneration: Gross salary of UGX 2 – 4 million commensurate with skills and experience of final applicant, with scope for increase as the organisation grows and as the individual develops and delivers results. Other allowances and benefits following WoMena’s policies.
- Working in a strategic and visionary organisation with a lot of potential.
- Working with a positive, friendly and resourceful team of 60+ men and women from 15+ nationalities, young graduates and seasoned professionals, volunteers and staff, working in Uganda and internationally.
- On the job training, support and skills development opportunities.
- A lot of possibility for influencing the work and direction of the organisation.
How to apply:
Interested applicants who meet the above criteria are invited to send their application via email to firstname.lastname@example.org addressed to the Executive Director. Please submit your application by 5:00 PM EAT on 16 October 2017. The application must include: one page cover letter explaining your suitability for the position; Curriculum Vitae (CV), a list of three professional references and one written reference letter.
NOTE: Only soft copy applications will be considered.