Position title: Program Office Manager (POM)
Reports to: Executive Director and Board
Location: Kampala, Uganda (WoMena Uganda Office, Makindye)
Status: 6 months full-time position with possibility of extension
Hours: 40 hours per week, 5 days a week according to WoMena’s official business hours
The WoMena Uganda Office Team is in charge of successfully introducing menstrual cups and other MHM methods and skills to our target groups. The POM’s main role will be to manage and coordinate this team and provide quality assurance on its deliverables in collaboration with the Training Coordinator, Research Coordinator and Management Team. The POM will be in charge of the office’s budget management and cash flow, HR management, compliance with WoMena policies, ensuring reporting to WoMena’s Board and generally supporting the team on the ground. The POM will also be responsible for liaison and advocacy with partners on the ground, especially at the senior management levels and government bodies, in collaboration with our Advocacy Team.
- Overall project coordination: Ensure that projects are in line with WoMena’s strategic and operational goals with guidance from the Board. Ensure coordination between the projects and delegate responsibilities to increase efficiency and impact. Ensure Project Managers submit and get budgets approved; provide quality assurance on PM team deliverables.
- Human Resources: Main responsible for the following tasks:
o Drafting Job Descriptions with Project Managers & Management Team
o Planning and leading performance appraisals
o Applying leave policy and keeping track of total leave days for office colleagues
o Developing and implementing other HR policies, procedures and best practices
o Develop and lead office based induction program
- Liaison and advocacy with partners: Advocacy at national level to achieve WoMena strategic objectives, meeting potential partners, managing relationships & negotiation.
- Budget development and management: Lead development of the annual budget, with Finance & Management Team and other relevant colleagues. Ensure the organisation works within its budgetary framework in collaboration with the Finance Team, sign off on expenditures.
- Document management: Lead WoMena’s organisational document management (both electronic and paper-based) including filing and confidentiality policies applied where relevant.
Compliance with WoMena policies: Ensure WoMena’s policies are developed, user-friendly and available to team members that need them, as well as following up with team on ground to ensure everyone is aware of and follows the policies
Support the organisation’s resource mobilisation efforts: Identify funding opportunities and support development of funding proposals.
Generally support the team on the ground: Manage the WoMena office to ensure conditions are conducive to the organisation’s work, ensure colleagues are supported and a nice and motivating working atmosphere for the team
Qualifications and skills:
- Mature, qualified and experienced person with at least three years related professional experience in a similar position.
- Program Management, Public Health, Medical, Social Work or relevant professional background.
- Practical, quick, reasoning skills; and experience with financial management.
- Ability to coordinate activities internally and with other agencies; must be able to coordinate effectively when program schedule changes, build and maintain positive working relationships.
- Excellent planning and organisation skills. Proactive, positive, problem solving attitude and good at taking initiative.
- Experience with managing/leading teams, ability to mentor and motivate as well as solid intercultural teamwork skills.
- Efficient and interested in learning new things to improve own/organisational efficiency.
- Remuneration: Gross salary of UGX 1.5 – 3 million commensurate with skills and experience of final applicant, with scope for increases as the organization grows and as the individual develops and delivers results. Other allowances and benefits following WoMena’s policies.
- Working in a strategic and visionary organisation with a lot of potential.
- Working with a positive, friendly and resourceful team of 60+ men and women from 15+ nationalities, young graduates and seasoned professionals, volunteers and staff, working in Uganda and internationally.
- On the job training, support and skills development opportunities.
- A lot of possibility for influencing the work and direction of the organisation.
The POM will be expected to come to the WoMena office on a daily basis and communicate with WoMena colleagues and partners through email, phone calls and online meetings. WoMena’s Board and partner WoMena Denmark’s team members are based in, among other countries: Uganda, Switzerland, Kenya, Denmark and Tanzania. Most of the interaction between team members happens via Skype, our internal Facebook page and mails. The POM should provide leadership to the team in Uganda, be proactive in reaching out to WoMena members based outside of Uganda and excellent in independently organising his/her work. He/she will be required to participate in or organise regular virtual meetings with relevant WoMena teams/colleagues and will be expected to provide regular updates to the Board members and broader WoMena team where relevant.
How to apply:
Interested applicants who meet the above criteria are invited to send their application via email to email@example.com addressed to the Executive Director. Please submit your application by 5:00 PM EAT on January 15, 2017. The application must include: one page cover letter explaining your suitability for the position; Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a list of three professional references.
NOTE: Only soft copy applications will be considered.
We look much forward to receiving your application and hope you will be successful! Let us know if you have any questions.
Warmly, the WoMena Team